Monday 16 January 2012

The Affair of Renewing a Driving License

My Driving License expired couple of months ago, had no time to do it, so I went last week all the way to the police station, but I was told that I must go to the Co-ops, so off I went, took a number and waited, when my turn came few hours later, I was told that I needed my passport, eye test and pictures. Didn't have my passport so I decided to come the next day, but the next day was today which is a week later. First I took the photos, paid 35 dirhams, then did the eye test which took half a second, and paid a 100 dirhams(I think I must open an optometry guys, that means that this guy makes 12000 dirhams an hour man!?) then went up to do the license, the guy told me that I have fines? Some came from sharjah? And some from a remote area of dubai? Didn't want to argue so I paid them just to get that license, then I gave my passport, the person said that I needed a photocopy not the original, so went down again and paid a dirham for the copy, this could have been avoided had they told me that I needed a copy which I could have taken one in the office. All in all the license which was 120 dirhams costed me a 1000!!

On my way out I saw my friend with her eye test paper, I asked her if she has a passport copy? And enough cash in case she has any fines? She affirmed that she has no fines, and that she didn't know she had to take a copy of the damn passport (a travel document but used for all walks of life); so we chatted a bit about the forthcoming wedding of my son which she unfortunately cannot attend as she is going to Australia showing off her newly fixed hip???

I had some other work in the police station, while waiting for my turn my phone rings, and it was Susharyn saying that I must add in my blog that she had to pay a fine for something from Municipality dating as far back as 2009, and no one can tell what it is for? I laughed of course as she didn't believe me, so I asked if she paid it or to? She said she just wanted that damn license as she is travelling, so she had to pay. And she is on a mission to find out what it is for??

Right, why am I boring you with this? Its because in Dubai we are so free and have nothing to do except to go to various government departments to do our chores. I lived everywhere, I never saw a government official, every thing could be done online or in the post office, and nothing is linked to a car registration or a driving license renewal, if I had a fine to pay I have to pay it separately. Say for example that I didn't have 1000 dirhams on me? Then I wouldn't have got my license, and I would have driven the car without one? And if anything happens (God forbid) then I would have had a large fine? Last year we paid over 15000 dirhams in fines. Basically we work so hard just to pay bills? When is the time going to come to first do all the chores by the Internet, and second we have enough money in our account to think of buying all of those stuff they keep on sending SMS messages on our phones during Dubai shopping festival? Or buy those lovely bread loaves on sale at the supermarket. Well, I am sure one day everybody is going to wake up to this fact and will do something about it. For me, I would rather wait for that day to happen. Yes I am passive, and I like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment